YEAR 9 OPTIONS
BTEC Level 2
Creative Media Production
- Examination board: Edexcel
- Contact: Mrs Rhiannon Blower, Teacher of Media and Mr Adam Burton, Teacher of Media
This is an optional subject which all students will study for 3 hours per week.
The BTEC Tech Award in Creative Media Production is for learners who wish to acquire practical media skills by researching, analysing and producing their own Media. This qualification will not only allow learners to explore and develop their knowledge of how digitisation has developed and changed media products but also develop their media production skills using photography, Photoshop and desktop publishing: in the digital world we inhabit today these are not only beneficial for developing creativity but also varying means of communication.
Component 1: Exploring Media Products (internal assessment)
Learners will explore the:
- content and purpose of digital media products
- style and use of digital design principles
- idea generation and production processes
- industry regulations and professional practices
Component 2: Developing digital media production skills (internal assessment)
Focusing on photography and Photoshop, learners will:
- experiment with a variety of media production skills and techniques
- apply the technical skills they have learnt
- reflect on their progress and use of skills, as well as how they could improve
Component 3: Responding to a brief (external assessment)
- learn how to respond to a media brief
- plan their response to the brief
- apply skills and techniques to a production
- justify the process and outcome that they have developed
- reflect on their application of skills, time management and use of resources
Learners will carry out mini-tasks as part of a larger project, or projects, throughout the course – these receive regular feedback from staff to support students in making good progress with their practical skills and research. Towards the end of the course, learners will carry out a larger task to create an effective media product in response to a brief. All of the work that is completed throughout the course, including the mini-projects, will support students in preparing for their final external assessment.
If you achieve a level 2 pass in BTEC Level 2 Creative Media Production you could study BTEC Level 3 Creative Digital Media Production at Bourne Academy Sixth Form.
Gaining a Level 3 qualification will prepare learners to enter employment or apprenticeships, or to move on to higher education by studying a degree in the media sector.